Smudging 101: What is smudging? How does smudging work?
Smudging originates as a North and South Native American ritual to cleanse and purify before or during ceremonies, and to call for balance and harmony. This technique has been done for centuries and is still done today. However, smudging has adapted into a technique the every day person can use to purify the air inside the home, or clear negative energies. The ritual of smudging has been related to “spiritual house cleaning.” Smudging is even suggested for cleansing healing crystals to clear them before use.
How does it work
“Certain plants when burned release a high vibrational energy through the fragrance and their smoke is used as an offering to create harmony and peace, purification and healing protection of physical and spiritual bodies, banishment of negative energies and creation of sacred space. When the herbs are burned it is thought that the soul of the plant is released to aid its energies for a particular invocation. In theory, the smoke attaches itself to negative energy and as the smoke clears it takes those negative energies with it and releases it into another space where it will be regenerated into positive energy.”
- Harvest all plants on the day you plan to make your items, and preferably on a warm non-damp day, because you want to avoid excess moisture from the process.
- Select your mixture, pull off any dead or decayed leaves, and make all ends (from the handle side) even, tie your string (about an arms length I find) around the end and knot it.
- Begin to wrap up the stick tightly and work your way up it in a criss-cross pattern then work your way back down.
- Tie your string end to the original end (and make a loop at the end to hang from).
- Clip any excessive shrubbery from the top of the stick and trim and edges that are sticking out too far from the sides. You’ll want to keep the string as tight as possible because it will shrink in the drying process.
- From here using a hook (or a bent coat hanger) and hang the sticks upside down in a dry place in your home. A window with sunlight is a good option if the window does not get excessive moisture. Keep these away from moist, damp, cold environments.
Interested in crystals feeling a little less woo-woo and more every day applicable in your life for more balance? The Crystal Healing Certification is the perfect place to start; beginners welcome! You’ll learn how to apply crystals to many areas of your life (including emotional balance, chakra balancing/ releasing of that ‘stuck’ energy, home energy flow so your place has #allthegoodvibes, crystals to help your business/finances prosper, how to make crystal grids, and so much more!) AND if you want to become a healing practitioner this course provides you the foundation to practice crystal healing on others safely (PLUS you get to add ‘CCH’ at the end of your name when you graduate, how cool is that?) Will you join us? click here: Join The Crystal Healing Certification
Find The Crystal That Is Right For You!
Get 'Your Power Crystal Guide' FREE (Value $79) You'll learn exactly which crystal to use to restore your vitality and get unstuck quickly!